Building distributed systems in distributed teams
Philipp Krenn (Elastic)
At Elastic — the company behind the open source tools Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — everything is distributed; both the company and all our products. Building distributed systems is notoriously hard ... building a distributed team even more so. This talk dives into the details how Elastic is thriving on its distributed model:
- How Elastic started to be distributed by design.
- Why we prefer the term distributed over remote.
- What are our shared core values and which aspects are on an individual basis.
- How the day of an Elastician looks like with totally different examples.
- What our tooling looks like.
- What we have learned as we have progressed and grown.
Philipp Krenn is part of the infrastructure team and a developer advocate at Elastic. He is frequently talking about full-text search, databases, operations, and security. Additionally, he is organizing multiple meetups in Vienna.